On January 16, 2021, Nancy Morton died peacefully at her home in Albuquerque due to ALS.
Nancy was a founding Board member of the New Mexico Wilderness Alliance and served as Chair, Secretary, and part of the executive committee over her 23 years of volunteer service on the Board. During her tenure, New Mexico increased its designated Wilderness areas by 389,576 acres.
She was a volunteer wilderness activist for more than 40 years, working to protect Wilderness in California and New Mexico. To honor Nancy’s inspiration, generosity and relentless commitment to Wilderness and wildlife, New Mexico Wild has established the Nancy Morton Wilderness Internship to keep her fiery heart for Wilderness burning.
Santa Fe - Pecos Wilderness Ranger Intern - Summer 2021
New Mexico is seeking a college level intern to assist in Wilderness Stewardship alongside our New Mexico Wild Wilderness Santa Fe-Pecos Rangers. Internship will entail:
- Shadowing Wilderness Rangers on field related assignments associated with Wilderness Stewardship Performance measures and data collection.
- Assisting with volunteer coordination, record keeping, and other office administration tasks.
- Must be able to backpack for multiple days, maintain clean and organized records, and coordinate volunteers.
- 6-12 weeks of paid employment ($13/hr) working alongside New Mexico Wild Pecos Wilderness Rangers. Work will take place between May 17th – August 9th. Length of internship depends on available funding.
- Housing provided at Pecos Ranger District.
- 8 Days on/ 6 days off schedule
Please email resume, transcript, or other relevant documents to firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.