Sign up on our volunteer form here
Or Call 505-843-8696, ext. 104.
Or sign up on our volunteer form here.
Benefits of Being a Volunteer
- Great experience for your resume
- Meet new people
- Make a difference
- Get a discount at the La Montanita Co-op. Learn more.
Pecos Wilderness Volunteer Service Projects
Saturday, March 26 (9:00-12:00)—Crew leader orientation/kick-off meeting in Espanola
Saturday, April 2 (9:00-2:00)—class/workday on Dead Dog Trail—work on retaining wall
Saturday, April 16 (9:00-2:00) —class/workday (location TBA)
Saturday, May 7 (9:00-2:00) —class/workday—Winsor Trail re-route construction
Sunday, May 15 (9:00-2:00) —class/workday—Winsor Trail re-route construction
Saturday, June 11 (9:00-2:00) —class/workday—Winsor Trail re-route construction
The New Mexico Wilderness Alliance is partnering with the Cibola National Forest, Sandia Ranger District to lead a range of volunteer service projects that will suit all skill levels.
1. Placitas Trails Project- This project will relocate unauthorized trails that have been created within the Sandia Wilderness boundary that connect to mountain biking trails within the Bernalillo Watershed Research Natural Area. Approximately 3 miles of trail will be relocated to improve sustainability and connectivity of the trail system. Sigh up to help us with this project set to start in Fall 2015.
2. Fence Repair and Sign Replacement along the Wilderness Boundary- Several sections of the Sandia Wilderness boundary have had unauthorized use by motorized vehicles or mountain bikes due to the lack of signage or damaged fencing. The Cibola NF has identified sections along the boundary that need fence repair and sign replacement which help deter unauthorized use within the Sandia Wilderness. Sign up to help us with this project set to start in early 2016.
3. Pilot Test Graffiti Removal methods Over the last five years, New Mexico Wilderness Alliance collected data on graffiti found within and adjacent to the Sandia Wilderness in over 20 locations, and the graffiti continues to increase. Sign up with us to help pilot test a method to remove the graffiti.
Other things you can do:
- Get involved with our mobile GIS inventories! Click here for more info on our Wilderness Stewardship Challenge Project.
- Assist with membership development by hosting a house party where we can event our members and your friends over for a presentation.
- Contribute to our newsletter or Wild Guide; we need photographs, art, poetry, articles, etc.